Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Advent Season

Today marks the beginning of Advent, a spiritual season that I greatly revere. Having been raised in the Methodist church, Advent was an ever-present element of the holiday season. Each Sunday I looked forward to another candle being lit, for the virtues I not only admire in a life of faith, but in a life as whole. Peace, joy, hope, and love...characteristics I see humanity losing grasp of everyday...being raised with Advent has shaped more of my life than I could have ever known at the time, as I still strive to find and spread peacejoyhopelove with each passing moment.

Now that I am grown, I gain a new appreciation for the true spirit of Advent...it is to be a time of yearning, longing even, for something far greater than ourselves that will move within the people and spark an anticipation for the gift that was offered to all thousands of years ago. This year, I hope my husband and I can take each day of the season and pause, preparing for the beginning of another year and another opportunity to spark change and love in our community. Through teaching and being involved with a church youth group, I can speak and say that love has become an afterthought...a fleeting philosophy that sadly surprises many when it is shown...when and how did we become confused and bewildered at utterances of good will? As of late, I am battling with this tremendously, within my own heart...if it was physically, viscerally possible I would walk the world and tell every human being that I love them...that I wish them peace in their lives...that I desire them to find joy in the simple, beautiful frames of living. I am constantly burdened by this, so much that my heart begins to pound and my ears are filled with muddiness...I know I will never come into contact with every living soul on the planet, but I can start with a few and plant the seeds of peace. To think...it all starts with seeds...

I am reading The Interior Castle by St. Teresa of Avila and loving every minute of it. Once again, I have found a kindred spirit in a being that I will never meet, never share a cup of tea with...just confirms my mother's suspicions that I am an "old soul"...Zac has Thomas Merton, and I now have St. Teresa...Thomas and Teresa...hmmmmm....

Back to school tomorrow...I know my students will not be thrilled about starting poetry, specifically poetic meter, but hopefully the Flobots and some Def Jam Poetry will catalyze interest...hopefully...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh what id give to spend a day in your classroom

abby coyle photo said...

I'm with Kyle T. I bet you are the best teacher at YHS! I too love advent season. Unfortunately, for a majority of the country, it's one of few times we pause to feel true love in gift form from the Father, not the shopping mall.

love you!

Hannah Cooper said...

this season makes me miss you deeply. i love you dear